Casey Anthony is not guilty of murdering her two-year-old daughter Caylee. At least that's what a jury decided on Tuesday. The social media world, of course, has different opinions --and Facebook posts and Tweets are flooding the Internet.
Indeed, Akamai's Net Usage Index for News reports that traffic to news sites spiked from about 2 million page views a minute to 3.3 million when the verdict was announced at about 2 p.m. ABC News reported that it's traffic surged after the verdict, with five times the normal number of visitors. According to ABC, viewers watched 1.2 million video streams on ABCNews.com. That's three times more than last month's average.
Traditional Media Scores
"Despite the overwhelming outcries on Facebook and Twitter on Casey Anthony's acquittal, the traditional news media were still the ones who broke the news," says Jake Wengroff, global director of Social Media Strategy & Research at Frost & Sullivan. "Indeed, social media continues to serve as an amplifier of news gathered or originally reported elsewhere."
Perhaps one day, Wengroff says, Twitter will have an in-house news staff, who will generate original stories. However, he doesn't expect that day to come anytime soon -- even Yahoo! News's newsgathering operations number less than one dozen full-time staffers.
"It's rare that public events can spark such vigorous, personal outcry," Wengroff said. "Indeed, Osama Bin Laden's capture resulted in an astounding 4,000 tweets per second, while the Casey Anthony acquittal yielded about 4 per second -- a huge difference, but nonetheless an event which prompted people to take to the social networks to share their opinions."
Social Media Amplifies
In the social media world, it was more than just the facts about the Anthony trial people were seeking -- the were sharing their opinions, outrage, and O.J. Simpson comparisons.
"Bet she's thinking "hahaha, I killed my daughter but proved not guilty, thanks america! drinks on me?" tweeted a follower identified as "xxbriiiikxx." "Murderers please move to florida, especially pinnelas county...you can get away with it there," a Tweeter named "Aadelung" wrote.
One Florida man was so enraged by the verdict he launched a Facebook page called "Boycott Casey Anthony" to get his message out. Less than a day later, there are nearly 6,000 fans. Some on the page are pronouncing shame on the jury for the decisions.
"I guess its to the point now if we don't want our children we can drown them and get away with it..." wrote Tangi Chialastri. Bubbs Ahs Masaru wrote, "I hope she dies in hell." And Nicovia Bosslady Melton penned, "They should allow the stoning just for this matter...Still wowed at the jury...my heart goes out to the baby...r.i.p." Meanwhile, Andrew Rapson wrote, "there is a special place reserved in hell for child murderers. the state of florida might not find you guilty, but you will face judgement. one way or another you will answer for killing kasey. you will pay the price."
沒有留言:
張貼留言